cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SMadden
Level 6

how to suppress reboot for repair installs?

Hi,

We have an InstallScript project that runs several 3rd party msi installs. For a repair install we call msiexec with /f .

One of the packages causes the installer to reboot in the middle of the repair install when being run in silentmode. Apparently the /norestart option only works for first installs and not for repair installs.

Does anyone know how to do a repair install of an msi and suppressing the reboot?

Properties can't be passed in when using /f, so setting REBOOT=reallysuppress doesn't work either.

Thanks,
Sandra
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
mr_slava
Level 4

Sandra,

Everything you described works as expected when you run MSI packages in silent mode during initial install and repair. You won’t be able to do anything via command line for repair, because during this mode the installation doesn’t use the source package ( default is “omus” option) but cached one. In fact even if you will use original package with “omusv” option you still cannot pass parameter into the MSI in this mode. Yes, as I mention before your parameter “REBOOT=reallysuppress” is correct but just not used. Now you still need to solve your problem I guess 😉

Here is the solution which I didn’t try myself, just didn’t have such task, but should work for sure. When you use 3d party MSI installers, do not use command line to pass parameters; you will be able to pass it ones during installation and all other modes won’t have this information; instead you need to create .MST transform with ORCA and set properties you need here. Of cause in your case you need REBOOT property, because you don’t want reboots at any moment. Don’t forget to take care in your main installation about reboot. You still need to have it, but at the end of installation. When you install MSI first time, use this MST via command line and in this case the MSI which will be cached on the computer and used during repair will include this transform and REBOOT property will be set forever.

Well I would say finally that this is not a solution, but “hack”, because you are using 3d party MSI and should not suppress reboot if this package require by some reason ( file in use, force reboot, etc. ); but in your situation it will do the work.
0 Kudos