cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
keleman
Level 4

how to custom action

hello :
i am curious how many ways that define custom action ?

in InstallShield Professional 5.5 or earlier.define custom action between "program ","endprogram ".
in the install shield 12 or other new version .there is only way that event scripty to define custom action???
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Christoph
Level 8

it depends which type of project you use.

Basic msi is actually the best way to go. Here you can define different kinds of custom actions: installscript, vbscript, dll,....

Installscript project you need to use the event-driven approach...

I don't recommand the Installscript msi project type... 😉
0 Kudos
keleman
Level 4

hello:
thanks you answer!
i use IS12 and my project type is InstallInscrip.so there only event-driven to custom action?
0 Kudos
Christoph
Level 8

Yes...

From the help of installshield:

Note
InstallScript installations are generally less desirable to systems administrators because they require the use of Setup.exe, rather than being self-contained in an .msi file, and may not be fully customizable prior to deployment. If your software will be customized by corporate systems administrators prior to deployment, Macrovision recommends that you create a Basic MSI installation project.

The InstallScript Engine
With InstallScript projects, the run-time user interface is rendered and its flow controlled by InstallScript, and the changes that are made to the target operating system are done through InstallShield’s trusted InstallScript engine, with no reliance on Windows Installer.

Using InstallScript as the installation driver has many benefits. The first is that InstallScript’s event model enables you to create a script-driven installation without writing a single line of code. If you want to add custom functionality, you need to implement only the events whose functionality you want to change.

The user interface abilities for Basic MSI projects are somewhat limited with regard to the types of controls you can use or the kind of control you have over dialog events. InstallScript projects have no such limitation—offering a wide range of standard controls along with the ability to add custom dialog controls. Dialog messaging in the script enables you to have complete control over how your end-user dialogs behave.
0 Kudos
keleman
Level 4

thank you very much .i get it.
0 Kudos