cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arulprakash88
Level 3

how to create a minor upgrade

Hi all,
I am a new to installshield and i was trying out a basic setup. I want to create a minor upgrade for that basic setup. Are there any step by step tutorial for creating a minor upgrade?. BTW the IS2010 help is not that clear.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
Reureu
Level 10

RTFM, page 1120 and further, or online: http://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/robo/projects/installshield16helplib/CreatingMinorUpgrades.htm

It is not really a step-by-step procedure, but as what you need to do so much depends on what your upgrade must do, I don't think you will find one.

I suggest you read the whole chapter related to updates (chapter 27 in the book, or online http://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/robo/projects/installshield16helplib/UpdatingInstallations.htm), as there are many aspects you need to consider.
0 Kudos
arulprakash88
Level 3

I RTFM, I tried creating a minor upgrade.
These are the changes which I did
1.Added a text file to my installation folder.
1.1 I gave the path of the old setup file in the "Setup to upgrade" field
2.changed the product version from 1.0.000 to 1.1.000
3.changed the package code(This was not mentioned in manual, but i read it some were)
4.built the project.

Errors:
Error -6420: The Upgrade Item setup [name of the upgrade setup] is not found. Unable to create upgrade settings.

Error -6421: An error occurred determining if the setup [1] is a major upgrade.
0 Kudos
Reureu
Level 10

I assume you are working on a Basic MSI project, and that your previous setup was based the same Basic MSI project.

Please make sure the "old setup file" is the MSI file of your previous installer.
The online helps says:
Error -6420: Ensure that the setup exists, that it is an .msi file, and that the name is correct.

I suppose 6421 is a consequence of 6420.
0 Kudos
arulprakash88
Level 3

I generated an .msi file and gave this file's path in "setup to upgrade" field. Now I get the following error messages.

i) ISEXP : fatal error -1014: Cannot rename directory to \folder.Bak. Windows Explorer or a DOS prompt may be pointing to a subfolder of the release output folder (Disk1) or to the Interim folder, locking it. Change the current directory. Close any open files in the Disk1 folder. Close Msidb.exe if it is open.

in the above error points to the path where setup is attempting to build the release.

---But I have not opened the relese output folder or any of its sub folder(no cmd line window opened)Also i cannot find a process named Msidb.exe inj task manager.

After this error,I closed the installshield project and reoprned it.
Now i get a different error.

ii) Error -6530: Error processing setup '[1]' for Upgrade Item '[2]'. This does not appear to be a valid setup.

[1] is the path to the installation specified in the Upgrade Paths view of InstallShield Express. [2] is the name of the upgrade item that is generating this error.

Now once again if give thepath of the .msi file in "setup to upgrade" field,I get the (i) error. Im stuck like an infinite loop. Am i doing anything wrong. Pls help
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

The Express edition does not have support for creating minor upgrades packaged as full installations. Only the Premier and Professional editions have support for that.

If you want to create a minor upgrade in Express, you would need to create a QuickPatch package. This could be used to update target machines that have an earlier version of an already installed product. However, it cannot be applied to a target machine that does not have an earlier version, since the QuickPatch package would contain only the revised and new bits of your product.

Another option in Express is to create a major upgrade that is packaged as a full installation. This can be used to update a target machine that has an earlier version of your product. It can also be installed on a machine that does not have an earlier version of the product.

The following two Express help topics explain these options in more detail:
Determining the Best Upgrade Solution
Packaging Options for Upgrades

I'm not sure which option (full-installation major upgrade or QuickPatch package) makes the most sense in your case. For the major upgrade option, you would need to add a major upgrade node in the Upgrade Paths view. You'd also need to change the product version and the product code. The package code is changed automatically by default with every build, so users typically don't need to worry about manually changing it. For a QuickPatch package, you'd need to create a new QuickPatch project.

btw, since the Express edition is so much different than the Premier and Professional editions, you'll probably want to post Express questions in the dedicated Express forum:
http://community.flexerasoftware.com/forumdisplay.php?f=259

I hope that helps.
0 Kudos