cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TurboFisch
Level 7

how do cache pre-requisite msi's?

how do cache pre-requisite msi's?

By default, my setup.exe uses "cache msi locally". It appears that the pre-requisites that I'm using do not obey the directory and put's it into the temp directory.

Is there a way to change the location of pre-requiste msi?

Thanks,
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

This may depend on how much control you have over the prerequisites. The prerequisite itself will always use a temporary folder, but if they have their own setup.exe that will cache files, that may be able to do the caching you desire.

As an alternate approach, you can explore using a Suite/Advanced UI project or an Advanced UI project. In that case, the control over each package (including those you import from .prq files) will enable you to control caching from the main setup.exe. I tend to recommend going this direction if you can, but depending on how much UI you have in your project, this can be more of an investment than you have schedule for.
0 Kudos
TurboFisch
Level 7

That is unfortunate.

I already know that the "repair" works for the pre-requisite msi's, when run standalone. Then "repair" function no longer works if I install the msi as a pre-requisite.

Seems odd that it should change this behavior when it already works in standalone. Isn't there an property that I can pass in to make repair work?
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

What fails during the repair of the prerequisite? From the context of the question, I'm going to guess that it's due to the installation source files having been removed from the temp folder, which would bring us back to the two suggestions I made above.
0 Kudos
TurboFisch
Level 7

yes, the prereq's msi is no longer in the temp directory. It appears that after my setup.exe runs, it deletes all temporary directories including the directories containing prereq installers.

I find the Installshield ui confusing, because it states that "the cached .msi file and other cached installations ....", which I would assume that it would put everything there including the prereq's msi's.

Does installshield look for a registry entry to find the location of the cached installer? If so, I could just set that and then copy the installer there.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Windows Installer looks for cached packages along its SOURCELIST, which you can modify. It's automatically populated with the location from which the .msi file is launched, which often works well, but %TEMP% is not a very useful location for this.
0 Kudos