cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
clemons
Level 3

handling special characters in response file

I'm working at gathering LDAP configuration information from the user and storing it when the -options-record option is specified. The problem is that some of these strings include numerous equal signs, such as the following:

"cn=Admin,ou=groups,o=foo.com,dc=foo,dc=com"

While these values are written to the file without error, when it comes time to read these variables back in with the -options option the string is cut-off at the first equals sign. For example, the above string is cut-off to "cn".

I've tried to find a way to express this in the response file so that the parser includes characters past the equals sign. Encasing the string in single or double quotes fails to work and prefacing each equal sign with a backslash doesn't work either.

Any ideas?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
bscald0
Level 2

If there's a way to do this, I wasn't able to find it. We ended up requiring a different character (I believe it was "^") in place of the "=" char in the response file. Then we just do a character replace in a custom event to change it back to the "=".

-ben
0 Kudos
clemons
Level 3

Thanks, Ben, I appreciate the response. Somehow I'm not surprised that the only alternative is to once again work around InstallShield rather than work with it.

The idea of substituting a character had occurred to me as well -- preferably, this would be a character that's illegal to use in an LDAP search filter. According to the LDAP RFCs, though, LDAP is fairly liberal in what it will allow in a search filter. So that leaves picking a character that our customers are unlikely to use. *sigh*

That said, the "^" character seems like a good choice. Thanks for the idea.
0 Kudos