cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cyprus106
Level 3

easy question: "Another versino installed" error popping up when it shouldn't

First off, I haven't had much experience with InstallShield, so I'm sure this is an easy problem that I'm just missing. The project was originally designed in IS5 Express and upgraded to IS2009, but it's always done this. If a user already had any version of the program to be installed on their machine, it always comes up with an error that reads as follows:
"Another version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To configure or remove the existing version of this product use Add/Remove Programs on the Control Panel."

I just want the installer to be able to wipe out the old version and install the new version always. Can anybody simply let me know how to do this, I can't seem to figure it out at all.

Thanks a lot in advance!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
DebbieL
Level 17

It sounds like maybe you haven't actually created a major upgrade. A major upgrade typically uninstalls the old version and then installs the new version. Also, the major upgrade can be run on a system that has no earlier version of the product.

Here are a few help topics that provide some more background and will hopefully get you started:
Major Upgrades
Major Upgrade vs. Minor Upgrade vs. Small Update
Adding a Major Upgrade Item

You can also press F1 from within the Upgrades view to see more documentation.

The "Designing an Update-Friendly MSI Installation" white paper on the following page may also be helpful:
http://www.acresso.com/downloads/downloads_7481.htm
0 Kudos