cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ray_Portrait
Level 6

custom prereqs

Is it possible to store custom prereqs in different folder than the IS default and point to these prereqs in your Basic MSI project?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Yes, but you have to modify the ISSetupPrerequisites table directly to reference the other location, and you will be unable to add it directly in the redistributables view. It's probably easiest to add a copy of the prerequisite to the folder, add it to the project, then edit it in the table.
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

InstallShields story could be a little better here. I don't like to have out of path dependencies on my build box the way InstallShield suggests to do things out of the box. Having a search order and command line override like `-o` for msm would be good for prereq.

I currently do as MichaelU suggests ( .\directory is my typical ) which also has the nasty side effect of breaking test builds in the IDE when InstallShield has changed my working directory. I have to quit the IDE and start it back up to reset it. Fortuanatly that's not a problem on my build box.
0 Kudos
Ray_Portrait
Level 6

I tried this and it works. In InstallShield 2009 I can still build through the IDE and the prereqs are still visible in the Redist view. This work-around works for me:)
0 Kudos
Ray_Portrait
Level 6

Another question - is there a way to set the path to the file the prereq runs relative to where the prq file lives?
0 Kudos
Ray_Portrait
Level 6

this seams to work - I copy the prereqs from the IS folder as above and edit the prq file to look at my Prereqs path variable in my project. this path is stored as "..\Prerequisites". This keeps the checksum and filesize in order so that the prereq doesn't grey out under the Redistributables view
0 Kudos
frobledo
Level 4

Is there a way to change a prerequite's output location? If I select "Copy from source media", IS creates the ISSetupPrerequisites folder and puts the prerequisites there, but I'd like to have the prerequisites in the same folder as setup.exe.
0 Kudos