cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joshuafoulk
Level 3

custom action placement

I have a batch file that runs as a custom action. I have it setup to run deferred after InstallFiles.

the last line of my batch file runs iisapp.vbs in order to recycle an application pool that I installed. unless the application pool is correctly recycled durring the installation, the person installing the app will have to go and manually recycle.

The code executes correctly and the batch file tells me that the app recycled, but it does not work right. I still have to manually recycle the application pool using IIS manager or the command line after the installation has completed.

I thought this could have something to do with the placement of the recycle command and a few questions came to mind:

1) When are the deferred custom actions actually executed?
2) What is the last place in the execution order that a deferred custom action can be placed?
3) Is it possible that I need to execute my recycling code at a different point in the sequence?

Thanks,

Josh
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
Barbara
Level 7

The last position where you can schedule a deferred CA is directly before the InstallFinalize Action.
Is your Batch-file working when executed outside the setup ?
You mentioned that you execute a .vbs file, maybe it can be a solution to start this script as a deferred VB-Custom Action, so you can have control over return codes and write to the MSI installation log.

Barbara
0 Kudos