cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChristopheOce
Level 7

custom action and vista ?!

Hi,

I have a package (baisc msi project) who was made with installshield 11.5, now this package must be upgrade to installshield 2008.

This package made with installshield 11.5 worked on vista.
installation worked !

Now on the same vista, the package made with is 2008 fails !
the setup is never end !!!!

with the trace i can see witch custom action stay always run !
it's a single exe witch one is run with some parameters !
this exe must be create a xml file on the path:
c:\program files\product\product name\doc.xml

the type of custom action is a new exe installed with product
This custom action is put on deferred execution in system context !

for information, the package made is 2008 works on win 2000, 2003 and xp sp 2!

Have you got some idea about what i can do ?!

thanks in advance for your idea
Christophe
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

A package made in InstallShield 11.5, if launched via setup.exe, would likely have run elevated. If you want to replicate this to try sidestepping the problem (or at least to prove that it is UAC related), try setting your setup.exe's privilege level to Require Administrator on the setup.exe tab of the release grid.

If this does fix it, the EXE you are launching probably needs administrative privileges, and you'll need to get them one way or another (the above is one valid way).
0 Kudos
ChristopheOce
Level 7

Hi Mickael,

thanks for your reply, but could you tell me where i can find the release grid !?
On your reply you talked about the release grid !where is locate the release grid on installshield or on vista machine ?!

Sorry but vista it's new for me and installshield i begin also !

Thanks for your time
Christophe
0 Kudos
ChristopheOce
Level 7

Hi Mickael,

It"s enough me :-)!

I've found on option release on installshield=> for the setup.exe
there is a option = >requiere execution level !
this option was on INVOKER !

If i pass this option on ADMINISTRATOR, build the package and run on vista, the package works fine !!!

But is there another way for to keep the option on INVOKER ?
because i'm not sure that people who will install our product will be administrator or will know the name of the administrator and the password !

Thanks for all
Christophe
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Unless you are doing a per-user (single-user) installation, they will need to elevate at some point. But you're right, it's recommended to do so later, not at the launch of setup.exe.

You mention that your custom action writes to C:\Program Files\... which is a system location, so clearly it's not a per-user install. However you also said it's deferred in system context, which means it should have the permissions required unless you had gone to General Information > Summary Information Stream and selected No for Require Administrative Privileges. If this setting is yes, and the custom action is deferred in system context, then it should have the required privileges.
0 Kudos