cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbodoc
Level 2

copyfiles from InstallDir to Network Drive Vista fails

My installation works fine and has for years, until Vista. I install a file to the InstallDir on the local machine, then read the INI to see where the file needs to be copied on the Network Server (drive t:\updates). UAC is on but I have set the AlwaysInstallElevated in hkey_local_machine and hkey_current_user set to 1.
ExistsDir(T:\Updates) fails to find the t:\updates folder
XCopy and CopyFile do not work as the T:\updates folder is NOT found.

I have verified they really do exisits. What am I missing?

The documentation and lack of samples leaves me out in the cold, I have spent hours looking and the solution does NOT seem to work. Any samples about how to solve this would be appreciated.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Please search these forums for "vista network drives" (and the like) for a possible explanation; [thread=164605]this thread[/thread] has a brief explanation, for example.
0 Kudos
turbodoc
Level 2

Thanks, but that really was not enough information to be helpful. Running the install as Administrator did not work either. Searching for "Vista Network Drives" pulled up only this thread.
I know that somewhere out there someone has solved this basic hurdle because anyone installing on Vista is going to bump into some of these issues.
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Searching all InstallShield forums, not just the InstallShield 2008 forum, seems to result in more search results. You might want to take a look at the following thread, for example:
http://community.acresso.com/showthread.php?t=168750
0 Kudos
DLee65
Level 13

So has anyone come up with an effective method to resolve the mapped drive UNC path. That might be a nice tweak to add to the next release of InstallShield too. *hint*, *hint*. 😄

I know there are times where we allow the user to install the large mapping datasets to a network resource to be shared with multiple users.

I will look into this as well. There should be an easy way to resolve this issue.

EDIT:
Well, from my initial look, it appears that the following will work. I am in the process of creating a .rul file to post here.

prototype NUMBER mpr.WNetGetConnection (
BYREF STRING, //Mapped drive letter
BYREF STRING, //Returned UNC path
NUMBER); //Buffersize
0 Kudos