cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
markcheyne
Level 2

can't start InstallShield 2008 - 'unable to initialize FLEXnet library'

When I try to start InstallShield 2008 on WIn XP SP2, and I am NOT logged in as an administrator, I get the attached error dialog, and the program fails to start. If I AM logged in as administrator, I can use the program successfully. Is there a fix for this? This is a problem with our IT policies.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
esiemiat
Level 9

It is my understanding that InstallShield 2008 needs to run with Adminsitrator priviledges.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

As per the release notes for InstallShield 2008, Admin privileges are required to run IS 2008.
0 Kudos
xengar
Level 3

The same message appears to me today, when I try to start the Installshield, but for my case I have Administrative privileges. So, you should first should check it.

Anyway, the Installshield run successfully after the Software Manager (the icon under the tool bar of the system) starts.
So, maybe the conecxion to internet it's slow, and you only need to wait.

I hope this help you.:)
0 Kudos
xengar
Level 3

Today, it also happens the same message, as I don't want to wait until the Software Manager get the conexion to internet. I just unisntall and install again the Installshield 2008.

I think this is a problem with an update, because until one day before yesterday this message not appears to me, and after an update that requires a password (in wich I don't place nothing and close the window) the message starts to appears.

My recommendation: Don't install the updates, unless it's completely required. or Just don't install the FLEXnet update.

I hope this help you and help others.
0 Kudos