cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Olga_Be
Level 2

caCreateVRoots fails on Vista

Hi all.

I've got a problem creating virtual directory on Windows Vista and 2008 Server.

I'm creating virtual folder RecognitionWS under Default Web Site. I've named the application for it (I don't need it but it has to be done on Vista, otherwise installation fails), it's name also RecognitionWS. So in Installshield Developer Pro the strucrure is
Web Sites
- Default (port #80, Site#1) - website
- - RecognitionWS - virtual folder

So on some computers with Windows Vista it's ok, virtual folder is succesfully created. But on others my installations rolls back after caCreateVRoots fais with error:

CommitChanges failed with the following HRESULT: '-2147024891'.

1: Error with IISRT: -2147024891.

This is 'access denied' error as far as I get it.

I've tried changing all possible attributes, tried switching off Semantic Antivirus and Firewall, installing asp.net and deinstalling, tried to use modified IISHelper.dll from another thread on IIS problems in this forum. but it hasn't helped.

any ideas? :cool:

here is a part of my installation log:

MSI (s) (44:48) [15:18:48:705]: Executing op: ActionStart(Name=caCreateVRoots,Description=Creating IIS Virtual Roots...,)
Action 15:18:48: caCreateVRoots. Creating IIS Virtual Roots...
MSI (s) (44:48) [15:18:48:876]: Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(Action=caCreateVRoots,ActionType=3073,Source=BinaryData,Target=CreateIISVRoots,CustomActionData=C:\Users\AYARMA~1.000\AppData\Local\Temp\IISE2F.tmp)
MSI (s) (44:98) [15:18:48:892]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSI5471.tmp, Entrypoint: CreateIISVRoots
MSI (s) (44:5C) [15:18:48:908]: Generating random cookie.
MSI (s) (44:5C) [15:18:48:939]: Created Custom Action Server with PID 3876 (0xF24).
MSI (s) (44:B8) [15:18:49:048]: Running as a service.
MSI (s) (44:B8) [15:18:49:080]: Hello, I'm your 32bit Elevated custom action server.
1: This machine does not support legacy objects
1: InitIISObject
1: CoGetClassObject(GETAdminBaseCLSID(TRUE) error: -2147221164
1: Legacy objects not supported
Action 15:18:49: Progress Custom Action. Creating application Pools...
Action 15:18:49: Progress Custom Action. Creating web service extensions...
Action 15:18:49: Progress Custom Action. Creating IIS virtual directories...
Action 15:18:49: Progress Custom Action. Creating IIS virtual directory RecognitionWS
1: SetCommitPath for website '' and app ''
1: InstallShield project contains a website with name 'Default', site number '1', and port '80'. Checking if it exists...
1: GetAdminSection for section 'system.applicationHost/sites' and path 'MACHINE/WEBROOT/APPHOST' and commitpath 'MACHINE/WEBROOT/APPHOST'.
1: Website exists. Additonal info: Site number '1', Port '80', sBasePath '/LM/W3SVC/1/Root', DisplayName 'Default'
1: Creating application 'RecognitionWS' with virtual directory 'RecognitionWS', website '1', and physical path: 'C:\Program Files\ABBYY Recognition Server 2.0\RecognitionWS\'
1: No element found with property 'path' value of '/RecognitionWS'.
1: Setting property 'path' to value '/RecognitionWS' for element 'application'. Old value: ''. m_sSectionName : 'system.applicationHost/sites'.
1: put_value succeeded. get_StringValue now returns '0' with string value '/RecognitionWS'.
1: Creating virtual dir with path '' and physicalPath 'C:\Program Files\ABBYY Recognition Server 2.0\RecognitionWS\.
1: No element found with property 'path' value of ''.
1: Setting property 'path' to value '/' for element 'virtualDirectory'. Old value: ''. m_sSectionName : 'system.applicationHost/sites'.
1: put_value succeeded. get_StringValue now returns '0' with string value '/'.
1: Setting property 'physicalPath' to value 'C:\Program Files\ABBYY Recognition Server 2.0\RecognitionWS\' for element 'virtualDirectory'. Old value: ''. m_sSectionName : 'system.applicationHost/sites'.
1: put_value succeeded. get_StringValue now returns '0' with string value 'C:\Program Files\ABBYY Recognition Server 2.0\RecognitionWS\'.
1: Adding the following element: virtualDirectory
1: Creating virtual dir with path 'RecognitionWS' and physicalPath 'C:\Program Files\ABBYY Recognition Server 2.0\RecognitionWS\.
1: No element found with property 'path' value of 'RecognitionWS'.
1: Setting property 'path' to value '/RecognitionWS' for element 'virtualDirectory'. Old value: ''. m_sSectionName : 'system.applicationHost/sites'.
1: put_value succeeded. get_StringValue now returns '0' with string value '/RecognitionWS'.
1: Setting property 'physicalPath' to value 'C:\Program Files\ABBYY Recognition Server 2.0\RecognitionWS\' for element 'virtualDirectory'. Old value: ''. m_sSectionName : 'system.applicationHost/sites'.
1: put_value succeeded. get_StringValue now returns '0' with string value 'C:\Program Files\ABBYY Recognition Server 2.0\RecognitionWS\'.
1: Adding the following element: virtualDirectory
1: Adding the following element: application
1: CommitChanges for path 'MACHINE/WEBROOT/APPHOST' and physical path 'C:\Windows\system32\inetsrv\config\'.
1: PutActionTaken for Vroot 'RecognitionWS': 3
1: Setting properties...
1: SetVRootProperties for virtual directory 'RecognitionWS', app 'RecognitionWS', and sBasePath: /LM/W3SVC/1/Root
1: SetCommitPath for website 'Default Web Site' and app 'RecognitionWS'
1: Changing CommitPath from 'MACHINE/WEBROOT/APPHOST' to the following: MACHINE/WEBROOT/APPHOST/Default Web Site/RecognitionWS
1: SetVRtStrProperty for property '3001' with value 'C:\Program Files\ABBYY Recognition Server 2.0\RecognitionWS\'.
1: AppHostElement objects detected. Unsupported property.
1: SetVRtStrProperty for property '2102' with value 'RecognitionWS'.
1: SetVRtStrProperty for property '1002' with value 'IIsWebVirtualDir'.
1: SetCommonProperties for the following: RecognitionWS
1: SetVRtDWProperty for property '6016' with value '513'.
1: GetAdminSection for section 'system.webServer/handlers' and path 'MACHINE/WEBROOT/APPHOST/Default Web Site/RecognitionWS' and commitpath 'MACHINE/WEBROOT/APPHOST/Default Web Site/RecognitionWS'.
1: Setting property 'accessPolicy' to value 'Script, Read' for element 'system.webServer/handlers'. Old value: 'Script, Read'. m_sSectionName : 'system.webServer/handlers'.
1: Property value 'Script, Read' is the same, so no need to change it.
1: put_value succeeded. get_StringValue now returns '0' with string value 'Script, Read'.
1: CommitChanges for path 'MACHINE/WEBROOT/APPHOST/Default Web Site/RecognitionWS' and physical path 'C:\Program Files\ABBYY Recognition Server 2.0\RecognitionWS\'.
1: CommitChanges failed with the following HRESULT: '-2147024891'.
1: put_Value determined that property is not actually changing, so ignore CommitChanges failure.
1: Changing CommitPath from 'MACHINE/WEBROOT/APPHOST' to the following: MACHINE/WEBROOT/APPHOST/Default Web Site/RecognitionWS
1: SetVRtDWProperty for property '6005' with value '-1073741824'.
1: GetAdminSection for section 'system.webServer/directoryBrowse' and path 'MACHINE/WEBROOT/APPHOST/Default Web Site/RecognitionWS' and commitpath 'MACHINE/WEBROOT/APPHOST/Default Web Site/RecognitionWS'.
1: Setting property 'enabled' to value 'true' for element 'system.webServer/directoryBrowse'. Old value: 'false'. m_sSectionName : 'system.webServer/directoryBrowse'.
1: put_value succeeded. get_StringValue now returns '0' with string value 'true'.
1: CommitChanges for path 'MACHINE/WEBROOT/APPHOST/Default Web Site/RecognitionWS' and physical path 'C:\Program Files\ABBYY Recognition Server 2.0\RecognitionWS\'.

1: CommitChanges failed with the following HRESULT: '-2147024891'.

1: Error with IISRT: -2147024891
Action ended 15:18:49: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

As a point of reference, can you try building your project with the IISHelper.dll attached in the following post:
http://community.installshield.com/showpost.php?p=408480&postcount=6

There are some issues with the IIS custom action that can occur on 2008 Server and Vista SP1 that you may be encountering.

Please let me know what your results are.
0 Kudos
Olga_Be
Level 2

Thank you, Joshstechnij. My situation's changed a little by now.

The problem above:

CommitChanges failed with the following HRESULT: '-2147024891'.

was resolved by enabling Directory Browsing option for a Default Web Site (it's not enabled by default in IIS 7). For Directory Browsing option was on in my Virtual Directory settings in my project.

But. There appeared another problem on another computer with Vista SP1 - CreateVRoots would fail with

"Attempt to change property value had problems, HRESULT: -2105
1: Error with IISRT: -2105 "

So there I tried your IISHelper.dll, and CreateVRoots started to fail with old good

"CommitChanges failed with the following HRESULT: '-2147024891'.
1: Error with IISRT: -2147024891 "

(with Default Web Site Directory Browsing option on this time)

And eventually I found a reason - in my project I changed the 'local path' - "the to the directory that stores your default Web site files". It used to be a folder inside Program Files, so I changed it for a folder inside CommonAppDataFolder (or %systemdrive%\Users\... will do either, or any other folder with less security than Program Files has) and my installation worked fine.

It's a strange behavior since it's not good enough to keep web service files inside a user access folder..

So just hope someone could find my experience helpful.

Olga
0 Kudos
psantimauro
Level 3

I am seeing a similar issue.

Have you found a resolution to your problem?:confused:
0 Kudos