cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TurboFisch
Level 7

building product configurations in parallel

is it possible to build product configurations in parallel? I'd like to just hit the build button, but I do not want it to build each configuration in a single queue.

devstdudio has the /m switch. I'd like to do the same for installshield projects
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

Do you mean through the IDE or through an automated build process?
0 Kudos
TurboFisch
Level 7

I usually use iscmdbld.exe when generating releases. one execution for each product configuration defined in the releases. where I have 4 on some branches, each takes 10 min, so I'd like to execute them in parallel so that all 4 will be done in 10 minutes instead of the usual 40 minutes.
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

With regards to InstallShield, I've seen problems with temp file collisions during parallel builds. Your mileage may very especially if the ISM's are similar or not. In my case I have hundreds of merge modules and build multiple MSI's that consume many of the same features / merge modules using the same base ISM. Maybe it's fixed by now....

As for the actual act of invoking IsCmdBld multiple times in parallel... that's a function of your build automation not InstallShield. Personally I like to use the MSBuild support these days and so I get this for free like you mentioned.
0 Kudos
Roman1
Level 9

No, in IS2014 it is not fixed. It is not possible to build parallel projects, which use the same merge modules. It comes an error about some files, which can not be found/streamed to cab archiv.
0 Kudos
TurboFisch
Level 7

well, that is what I suspected. I guess I can resort to the following:
- run the product configurations on different tfs build agents
- run as different users, so that they use a different temp directory
- set the temp directory prior to running each instance %temp%\config1, %temp%config2,....

thanks,
0 Kudos