cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aThompson
Level 3

XML File Changes not updating XML file

I have an InstallScriptMSI project in which I am using the XML File Changes view to create an xml file that stores data about the installation. I am setting the values of the nodes with MSI properties because I am generating / editing the values with installscript during the install. This XML file does not get removed on uninstall. When the application is installed, I am using the System Search functionality to retrieve the contents of this XML file and populate the appropriate MSI properties (so the settings stored in the file are preserved, and the app "remembers" the users settings from a previous installation). However, if the value is changed during the course of the install, the new value does not get updated in the xml file. Are there any known causes of this behavior?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
D_Fraz
Level 4

A couple of thoughts...

1. Try checking the log file and make sure your PROPERTIES are getting updated correctly. Example: "msiexec (your installation) /L*v "%TEMP%\My_Install.log"". You will also be able to see in the log file ISXMLAppSearch activity.
2. There is an issue if you are updating an existing XML file using System Search, and the XML has a Namespace. I've found it will not update the XML.
0 Kudos
aThompson
Level 3

Thanks for your reply D Franz. I managed to resolve the problem by putting the results of my system search into different msi properties than what was going into XML file.
0 Kudos