cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KeithHurst
Level 3

XML Configuration

Hi,

very newbie to InstallShield so please bear with me.

I have managed to produce an installer which deploys the required Win32 app/file, set up the registry based on user input (default folder locations and the like), and create a new, or upgrade an existing, SQL catalogue.

Different clients of ours require differnent files installed. I was hoping to hve an XML configuration file along the lines of...

file1.txt
file2.txt

file1.txt
file2.txt

etc....

then in InstallScript MSI simply set one property, the client name, in this case to abc or def then read in and set InstallScript variables to the rest of the configurations held in the XML document.

In the above example a LIST type variable containing the files needed for the specific client.

Is this doable without having to COM out to VB or C# and modify the ISM?

What's the best way?

Thanks,
Keith
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Have you tried InstallShield Collaboration and possibly the DIM Editor? It doesn't result in quite as concise a file as what you describe, but I think it might fit the rest of your described scenario. If you do require a file as concise as you describe, then you will probably need to explore the COM automation options in InstallShield.
0 Kudos
KeithHurst
Level 3

I will look into these.

I started looking at including an xml file into the Support Files area then opening it with CreateObject in a CustomAction but even that's giving me gip, even though I have the right file path with SUPPORTDIR etc...

Thanks,
Keith
0 Kudos