Did you mean: 
TheTraveler
Level 8

XML 4.0 Merge Module on Vista

Hello,

Install Shield Release: Install Shield 2009 Professional
Project Type: Install Shield Script project
Target OS: Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows 2003 Server

Found something odd. I'm installing a Microsoft Excel Add-In that uses MS XML 4.0. So I naturally include the MS XML 4.0 merge module into my installation. This installation works great as is on both Windows XP and 2003 Server. The problem is Vista. The add-in doesn't see the XML 4.0 on the system. Now if I run the "msxml.msi" which is XML 4.0 SP2 before I run my installation, the add-in runs fine on Vista. Just so you know, I already checked the file versions between the merge module and windows installer for XML 4.0. The file versions are identical.

Oh, I should also mention that I'm running the installation as administrator and the user logged in running the installation also has administrator privileges.

So for now, the work around is to run the windows installer of XML 4.0 before my installation, but I would prefer to find a better solution to this. Not to mention the fact that if I'm going to use other merge modules in my installations, will they also have problems being installed on vista just like XML 4.0?

Any assistance in this matter will be appreciated. Thank you.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
TheTraveler
Level 8

More information:

I created a Basic MSI project and had it create a single MSI file. The problem still exists. So the conclusion is that there is a bug in the Merge Module.
0 Kudos