cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brandon_Lowe
Level 6

Writing to the MSI Log File

Ok here is another basic question.
I'm moving my install from Installscript to a BasicMsi install. I write lots of information during the installation to a log file for debugging later if needed.
In Installscript I used CreateFile, Openfile and WriteLine and this worked great. In my BasicMSI testing the Create file works about 50% of the time, I have no idea why but sometimes it works and other times it does not.

So what I want to try doing now is turning on the built in logging option and then I would like to write my lines of information to that log file as needed.

I have searched and found info on turing the logging on and I think how to name it and put it where I want but I have not found any info on how to write to it. I would like to be able to put short strings together and write them to the log file like using WriteLine.
Is there a way to do this?

If not does anyone know how to make createfile work all the time? I'm trying to create the file in commonfiles\Companyname\InstallLogs\

I can supply a sample script if needed.

Thanks
Brandon
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

This old newsletter tip shows some ways to write to the MSI log file: http://www.flexerasoftware.com/webdocuments/PDF/msi_writing_to_the_log_file.pdf.
0 Kudos