cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Raharrelson
Level 3

Write a property to the log file & LaunchCondition problems

I am a very new developer to InstallShield, and so step by step instructions would be most helpful.

Under the settings tab, I have set up a log file and have "/L*v C:\HelloWorld\LogFile.txt" in the MSIEXEC.EXE Command Line arguments, after finding that from other posts.

I have setup a system search to search for a registery key that I have added to my registery, and to place the result in the property "OFFLINEKEYEXISTS".

Under Custom Actions and Sequences, I found the "LaunchConditions" section under the Sequences\Installation\Execute section. I added the condition of "OFFLINEKEYEXISTS=TRUE". I am not sure if this means that the app will continue to run or abort based off the result. My plan had just been to change the key in the registery and try it multiple times to get a good understanding of how it works. However, whether I have the correct key in my registery or not, it always gives me my error message and stops the install.

So I have two questions.
1. How can I write the "OFFLINEKEYEXISTS" property to the log file to see the result? (Note, I have seen and tried to follow the PDF that is referenced in several posts, but these instructions are not clear enough for me.)

2. Am I missing some link between the System Search and LaunchConditions as to why I am not able to get the registery check to work?

Thanks in advance for your help, and please remember that detailed instructions would be most helpful.

Robert
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

You might try setting your launch condition to just the property name OFFLINEKEYEXISTS, which tests if the property has any value at all. MSI properties aren't boolean variables with TRUE or FALSE values...
0 Kudos
Raharrelson
Level 3

Actually, it turns out I had my system search for the registery key messed up. After I got that straight, the install condition did not work when I had it in the Launch Conditions area. I put it under "Installation Information\General Information\Product Properties" and then selected Install Condition in the window on the right.
Thanks for the help.
0 Kudos