cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
boggle
Level 3

Windows service will not uninstall

My Basic MSI package installs a Windows service. It installs and runs correctly.

When I try to UNINSTALL it on Win2K8 (32-bit), however, it doesn't uninstall. The uninstaller finishes successfully, and the app is removed from the appwiz.cpl.

The MSI log contains no helpful error messages, in fact has no reference to the service name at all.

Action start 10:44:33: UnpublishFeatures.
Action ended 10:44:33: UnpublishFeatures. Return value 1.
Action start 10:44:33: StopServices.
Action ended 10:44:33: StopServices. Return value 1.
Action start 10:44:33: DeleteServices.
Action ended 10:44:33: DeleteServices. Return value 1.
Action start 10:44:33: UnregisterComPlus.
Action ended 10:44:33: UnregisterComPlus. Return value 0.

Bafflingly though, the service uninstalls fine on a Win2K8 (64-bit) machine.

I'm at my wit's end, have spent hours and hours on this, changing Uninstall Delete/Start/Stop events, component guids, permissions etc.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to debug this?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
D-2_5-GT
Level 3

I'm running into similar issues with stopping and deleting services.

My verbose logging lists the same information as above.

If I use the .NET Installer Class option under the .NET Settings, the service is installed and uninstalled correctly, but i cannot set user options correctly.

If i use the advanced settings-->services-->control settings with 3 separate events for InstallStart, UninstallStop, and UninstallDelete - the service is installed, controlled, and started correctly, but it will not stop and uninstall.

Any suggestions?
0 Kudos
carylewis2011
Level 2

I can not get the service to uninstall.
0 Kudos
arunxone
Level 2

Remove the service component and re-add it. If it still not fixing then Rename the component with the service name. Remember to set the unistall stop and uninstall delete. If it still not fixing I don't know then. Well check whether the file is marked as shared.
0 Kudos