cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mmackenz
Level 2

Windows NT Target support in IS 2008

We recently upgraded to IS 2008 but didn't realize until now that support for Windows NT 4 had been dropped. We have a fairly straight forward Install Script based setup with no MSI. What are some of the risks we run into deploying the IS 2008 based application to our customers that are still on NT 4.0? Any suggestions? What is the last release of IS that Acresso supports that still supports Win NT?

Thanks in advance,

Mark
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
DLee65
Level 13

I believe that 11.5 is the last version to officially support Windows NT. Note that IS2008 does allow the user to specify NT 4.0 as a platform however, it is my guess that InstallShield did not test IS2008 deployments on Windows NT, so it may require more extensive testing on your part to see if IS2008 will work for you.
0 Kudos
mmackenz
Level 2

Thanks for the scoop, Dan.
0 Kudos
Mike_Marino
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

You can use the Always Show legacy Platforms option in IS2008 to target older platforms.

We offically removed support for some older platforms (9x and NT 4.0) in 2008, however nothing in our code was changed to prevent setups from running under those OSs. In fact we still actively test setups all the way back to Windows 95.

In the future we are considering making runtime changes that would cause some runtime issues (full Unicode runtime, which will not run so well under 9x). I would be curious for any feedback users may have to a change like this.

Thanks,
Mike
0 Kudos