cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Greg_R
Level 4

Windows Error on Admin Credential Entry

Hey there,

I am mostly posting this in case it wasn't already a known issue, but our QA group has reported that Windows generates an error in Windows XP when the user attempts to close the Admin Password Entry dialog by clicking the red X close icon when launching the installer as a Standard (non-Admin) user.

The error dialog says:

"
>SetupNew\setup.cpp (138)
PAPP:
PVENDOR:
PGUID:
$14.0.0.162
@Windows XP Service Pack 2 (2600) IE 6.0.2900.2180
"

The steps specified by QA are the following:

[LIST=1]
  • run installshield installer
  • when prompted for admin password, click red x on window
  • note error

This is a InstallShield 2008 InstallScript project.

Anyone have any ideas? I will most likely mark this as a "Won't Fix" bug. Thank you for the help!

Greg
  • Labels (1)
    0 Kudos
    (4) Replies
    MichaelU
    Level 12 Flexeran
    Level 12 Flexeran

I'm not sure what dialog you mean by the Admin Password Entry - is this a custom dialog your installer uses, or something provided by Windows? At first I thought you may have meant a UAC dialog, but you specify Windows XP instead of Vista. 🙂
    0 Kudos
    Greg_R
    Level 4

Hello Michael,

The dialog I was referring to is a Windows dialog that comes up to request administrative credentials since the user is a standard (non-admin) user and the installation requires administrative privileges. I believe its XP's equivalent of Vista's UAC as far as allowing an admin to authorize the installation for a standard user account.

Greg
    0 Kudos
    MichaelU
    Level 12 Flexeran
    Level 12 Flexeran

Okay, so your installation requires administrative privileges, and crashes when not given them. I'm not sure if there's anything unusual about the environment when that dialog is canceled, but if you put a MessageBox in OnBegin, does it get that far? If not, chances are there's nothing you can do. I do agree with your implicit assessment that this is not a common scenario that you are likely to need to worry about in practice.
    0 Kudos
    Greg_R
    Level 4

Hi Michael,

I'm just going to go ahead and mark this particular issue from our QA department as a "Won't Fix". We're under a tight time constraint right now and I'm the only one with a license to use the IDE and I'm currently buried under a pile of other tasks before we ship. I appreciate your help on this issue though. Thank you.

I'll let you know if I get the opportunity to check to see if I can get a MessageBox to pop up through OnBegin.

Greg
    0 Kudos