Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Manuel_K
Level 4

[Windows 7] Merge Module fails if MSI is launched instead of setup.exe

Hello,

Sorry for bugging you again 😉
See this thread for previous info: http://community.flexerasoftware.com/showthread.php?t=192342

The Custom Actions now work now, but my included BDE Merge Module (Yes, BDE. Don't laugh, we're doing serious business :D) fails to install ("failed to merge configurations"). I think this is the same problem, the "action" isn't executed in system context. Is there any way to modifiy the Merge Module to request those rights? I've imported the BDE Pro 5.11 merge module object from our old InstallShield 3 Express installation.

Using IS 2010 Premier with Basic MSI project.

Thanks,
Manuel
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

BDE? Hahahaha

Ok, I got that out of my system. And yes, I'm just kidding. People still support and build upon legacy platforms so naturally we still need deployment solutions for them.

Here's some general advice from experience. It's not too specific due to the fact that I haven't used BDE since Delphi 3 some 11 years ago.

Most merge modules provided from vendors are pretty poor. I would ditch the merge module and replace it with a custom rolled setup prerequisite. Create a prereq that can call into BDEs setup program and consume that in your setup.exe. Then write a corrosponding System Search / Setup Condition ( AppSearch / LaunchCondition ) in your MSI that gates the install if BDE wasn't correctly installed. Your workflow becomes

setup.exe
ask to install / install BDE if needed
setup.msi
block install if BDE not installed

Then in your MSI you only concern yourself with installing your application and configuring the BDE for your datasource. Or whatever they call a datasource in BDE... sorry, it's been a long time for me and I'd have to deep dive back in to relearn all the details.

BTW, heres a little tutorial for writing prereqs

http://blog.deploymentengineering.com/2006/11/using-installshield-12-to-install-net.html
0 Kudos
Manuel_K
Level 4

Thanks for these very good and constructive hints.
I think I follow your suggestions and build a prereq in the next days, seems to be much more reliable.

Thanks again!

Best regards,
Manuel
0 Kudos