cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
esiemiat
Level 9

Windows 64-Bit Question

I just recieved a new development machine from IT and it has Windows Vista 64 on it. I was wondering if there is a drawback to developing, and sometimes building, 32-bit and 64-bit installs on a 64-bit system.

Should I install a 32-bit OS? Is there anything that I won't be able to do in InstallShield on a 64-bit system that I could do on a 32-bit system, or vice-versa?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
esiemiat
Level 9

In addition to my previous 64-Bit question, are there any issues using InstallShield 2008 or 12.0 in Vista?
0 Kudos
MartinMarkevics
Level 2 Flexeran
Level 2 Flexeran

Developing on 64-bit machine should not be a problem. IS 2008 works fine on Vista as well, though it does require administrative priveleges.
0 Kudos
esiemiat
Level 9

Thank you for you help. The reason I asked is that I remember reading somewhere that you could not do COM extraction for a 64-Bit install on a 32-Bit system. I was not sure if the reverse was also true.
0 Kudos
MartinMarkevics
Level 2 Flexeran
Level 2 Flexeran

As I'm sure you probably already know, the way we do COM extraction is to load the PE file, call the DllRegisterServer entrypoint (or /REGSERVER command line in the case of an EXE) and capture the COM data that gets written to the registry (in a redirected location). The problem on 32-bit systems is that you can't load 64-bit .dlls period. So, 64-bit COM extraction is not possible on 32-bit systems. The opposite, however, is no true because you can load 32-bit PEs on 64-bit systems.
0 Kudos
esiemiat
Level 9

That is what I thought but I wanted to be sure.
0 Kudos