cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
seaktf
Level 4

Will Windows Server 2008 be a supported platform?

I'm using InstallShield 2008 Premier.

I need to work in InstallScript project. But in this project type, Windows Server 2008 isn't listed as one of the supported platform. Is this temporary or is it permanent? I mean, is there any plan to support it with a future SP something?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

It is a supported platform in InstallShield 2008. Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 use the same major and minor version numbers. Therefore, if you want to use InstallScript to distinguish between Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista, you'll want to check whether SYSINFO.nOSProductType = VER_NT_WORKSTATION; for Windows Vista, this is TRUE; for Windows Server 2008, it is FALSE. For more information, see the SYSINFO help topic in the InstallShield help.

I hope that helps.
0 Kudos
jchristman
Level 8

There are also differances between IIS 7 on Vista and windows 2008 server, the next release for InstallShield is scheduled Next Month and will have the options for Windows 2008 Server and better IIS7 Integration. As DebbieL stated you can use InstallScript and check for version and build to determine which system it is for now.
0 Kudos
seaktf
Level 4

OK, but how come in MSI project, there's a distinction between them? I mean, you could verify that there's Windows Vista and Windows Longhorn.
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Sorry, I forgot. There's also a Platform Suite(s) setting at the component level. So, if you've selected Windows Vista for the Operating Systems setting of the component, you can specify Windows Server for the Platform Suite(s) setting. That way, the component will be installed on Windows Server 2008, but not Windows Vista.

If you want the component to be installed on Windows Vista but not Windows Server 2008, select Windows Workstation for the Platform Suite(s) setting.

If you leave the default value of Suite Independent for the Platform Suite(s) setting, the component will be installed on both Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008.

I hope that helps.
0 Kudos