cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lasiewicz
Level 6

Why upgrading to InstallShield 2011 is such a pain.

One of the great things about installshield, was since version 6, upgrading has always been easy. The newest pain to be added needs to download a license file for InstallShield 2011 Standalone build.

I upgraded one our many projects to InstallShield 2011. When I tried to upgrade the build machine, naturally I couldn't. Now each copy of the Standalone build needs its own license file which is a complete enigma to get.
After several days of proving to support we bought the software by sending them back their own invoices we still haven’t been able to get the standalone build. I have since rolled back Install Shield to 2010. Perhaps this will be as far as anyone goes, no one will be able to upgrade ever again.
When you install the Stand Alone build, it asks you for a license file, which it doesn’t tell you how to get. I found the web site in which you are suppose to get this , but naturally my log in only works to create support cases and you can’t get this license file.

Has anyone done this successfully or is everyone just going to stay on InstallShield 2010?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
CHOeld
Level 4

I agree with you that the process of getting Standalone Build licenses is unreasonably onerous and difficult. I think I ended up having to set up two or three different NEW login identities and passwords (apparently, Flexera has never heard of single sign-on). I believe that I eventually got fed up with the email run-around and broke down and called the support number and waited the obligatory half-hour. When I finally got through, however, the support person was helpful and knowledgeable, and we finally got the licenses (that we had already purchased, and which SHOULD have been supplied automatically).
0 Kudos
lasiewicz
Level 6

I just wonder if Flexera knows what they have done by doing this. I have been trying to get the InstallShield 2011 Standalone build for 2 weeks in my spare time. They made the licensing process so complicated and time consuming I am sure there are people that are giving up and just using WIX or some other tool.
0 Kudos
DScott
Level 2

It took me a better part of 2 hours to get ONE server installed with the 2011 SAB binaries. It is ridiculous to be punished as a customer just to keep piraters from using their software. If they have to lock down the install, fine, but don't make the process require a degree from MIT and a 2 week training course at space camp.

My development staff thought I was exagerating on the complexity of the install. Two of them flat out gave up, the shop is now discussing moving to nullsoft or another tool to avoid this nonsense in the future...
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

This is one of the biggest reasons that I haven't even attempted to put IS2011 into production where I work. I need to have a really urgent reason to upgrade to even deal with all this hassel.
0 Kudos
Server
Level 5

I also heard about issues with licensing. But with Concurrent licenses. We have very significant delay with the delivery and this is very painful.

And now I am worried very much about our standalone builders updates... We don't do any standalone on 2011 currently, only 2009.

And if we use licenses included in the old maintenance plan (10) - we also need to order some license files from support?

Flexera should do something about it's business processes or it is a way to hell. :mad:
0 Kudos
DScott
Level 2

Now comes even more fun. The build server that took me 1.5 days to get SAB installed on isn't "in synch" with my local PC's version of IS Prem install. So I now I have to update our SAB by completely uninstalling and reinstalling with an update SAB installer. And guess what? I get to go through the key process ... again. This is insane and needs to be removed.
0 Kudos