cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kalleh
Level 3

Why upgrade?

Currently we are using IS 2008 Pro and basic MSI projects and I'm trying to figure out if there is any need for us to update to the IS 2010.

We are developing our software in VS 2008 and are using SQL Server database and SQL Server Express. Target O/S is XP SP2, Vista SP1, Win 7, Server 2003 R2 and Server 2008

The info on IS 2010 says it supports VS2008, SQL server 2008, Win 7 but what does that really mean? What can IS2010 do that IS2008 cannot? I suppose that any new prerequisites and merge modules would be ok to use in IS2008 as well?

I would appreciate any comments on this.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Nio_the_Champ_2
Level 6

That's Marketing.. If you are not using any of the new MSI 5.0 features, you may keep using the older versions. Its just that with IS2008 going out of support , they will not fix any bugs/issues you may encounter which they anyways do not fix unless you pay them first.
0 Kudos
Marwan
Level 7

Kalleh, you should at least download an evaluation copy of IS2010 and take a look. The user interface improvments in the InstallShield IDE are dramatic and once you see them you will not be able to go back to 2008!
0 Kudos
Jeremy_Lloyd
Level 3

Unless, of course, if you are using the SAB, and then you're screwed, because now you have to upgrade to Premier at huge expense.
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Some of the InstallShield prerequisites that are available in InstallShield 2010 cannot be used in InstallShield 2008. That is because InstallShield 2010 has support for a new registry condition type (a registry entry has a specified version value) for prerequisites, and this condition type was not available in InstallShield 2008. Any prerequisites that require this conditon type cannot be used in InstallShield 2008 projects. Two such prerequisites are Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express and Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express SP1.
0 Kudos