cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DLee65
Level 13

Why does my install fail when services do not start?

I have services attempt to start as part of the install. I have the setting "Abort Install on Failure" set to No for each of the services. However, anytime the services time out and do not start the Install rolls back! What is up with that. How can I prevent the rollback on this stuff? Should I just abandon the attempt to start services from the MSI and delegate this to a more reliable custom action? I need this to be 100% fail safe. In this day and age it should not be too much to ask. Is my service running? NO? Is the flag set to abort? No, continue install.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
DLee65
Level 13

It appears that setting the flag "Abort Install on Failure" to No does not directly affect the ServiceControl table wait value. If I change the wait value from 1 to 0 then I get the desired affect.
I should have thought to go into the service table and research this first before posting here.

However, others should be aware that the InstallShield UI may not update your ServiceControl table correctly. Always go in and double check. I guess it is good for roughing in the settings for your service. But fine tuning the controls should still be done through the Direct Editor. 😄
0 Kudos