cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DanBerg
Level 3

Why can't I even open a project using the automation interface?

I am using InstallShield 2009 stand alone build on Server 2008.

The IS automation interface on my build machine seems to have suddenly stopped working. I don't think I have installed anything new, and my IT dept says nothing has changed on the build machine either.

I have already tried a repair, and an uninstall & reinstall of InstallShield Stand Alone build.

I originally had scripts that updated version, path variables etc but those are broken too. I can't even seem to run a basic vbscript anymore:

Option Explicit

Dim oProject

Set oProject = CreateObject("ISWiAuto15.ISWiProject")

'Set file location
oProject.OpenProject "Z:\Dan\CaseInstaller.ism"
oProject.CloseProject

Set oProject = Nothing

I get this error message:
ActiveX component can't create object: 'ISWiAuto15.ISWiProject'

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Thanks,
Dan
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
Dan_Galender
Level 10

How did the Standalone builder get on your build machine? Did you run the installer for it or just copy the files? If you didn't run the installer, you must manually register certain InstallShield files. Have you reviewed the help topic “Installing the Standalone Build on a Build Machine”?
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

If you're on a 64-bit machine, make sure you're running a 32-bit copy of cscript/wscript. That one got me just this last week.
0 Kudos
DanBerg
Level 3

Thank you!

Running 32bit cscript solved my problem!

Thanks,
Dan
0 Kudos
dglover
Level 3

DanBerg wrote:
Thank you!

Running 32bit cscript solved my problem!

Thanks,
Dan

Hi, I've encountered a similar problem - how do you ensure the cscript/wscript is 32bit??
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

The 32-bit cscript is located at (e.g.) C:\Windows\SysWow64\cscript.exe; sorry for not mentioning that the first time. Just make sure to run one of the exes from that folder.
0 Kudos
lasiewicz
Level 6

I have this same problem on a 64 BIt machine. I get the same error ActiveX cannot create instance of Object.....
I found the Cscript in the C:\Windows\SysWOW64 folder.
I am unsure what I have to do to make the automation interface work.
0 Kudos
lasiewicz
Level 6

You just need to do something like the following

c:\windows\syswow64\cscript C:\Bill\Poc\test.vbs
0 Kudos