cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shawnsang
Level 3

Who can give me advice to resolve this issue(32bit plugin install on 64bit platform)?

We used InstallShield to create a plugin installer for R, our plugin files should be installed into R/library folder, such as C:\Program Files\R\R-2.15.2\library\my_plugin\. On Windows 64bit OS, R installer will install all 32bit and 64bit R libraries into Program Files which is default folder.

When user install our plugin of 32bit version, our installer can find the right R path, such as C:\Program Files\R\R-2.15.2. But in the installing process, we find the plugin files were installed into C:\Program Files(x86)\R\R-2.15.2\library\my_plugin\.

From the installer log, we found these description:
[FONT=Tahoma]MSI (s) (58!E8) [04:51:13:155]: WIN64DUALFOLDERS: 'C:\Program Files (x86)\' will substitute 17 characters in 'C:\Program Files\R\R-2.15.2\' folder path. (mask argument = 0, the folder pair's iSwapAttrib member = 0).
MSI (s) (58!E8) [04:51:13:155]: In SetTargetPath, re-mapping 'C:\Program Files\R\R-2.15.2\' to 'C:\Program Files (x86)\R\R-2.15.2\' because this is a 32-bit package being installed on Win64.[/FONT]

So anyone have any suggestion to stop MSI to change the target folder?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
phill_mn
Level 7

If you look at the directory table in direct editor, I suspect your path to your target location is based on [ProgramFilesFolder] which typically expands to 'c:\program files (x86)\', rather than using the root of [ProgramFiles64Folder] which is typically 'c\program files\. I am more familiar with solving this issue using InstallScript and the following information:
http://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/installshield19helplib/helplibrary/Targeting64Bit-IS.htm

But in an MSI I have read some responses to the effect that what you want to do 'can't be done'. However in Heath Steward's blog he says in that it can be done, but then moves on to discuss the more general problem that most folks focus on (which is not related to your concern). So if Heath an expert on MSI says it can be done then it seems that the trick is to focus on your Directory table and the ProgramFiles64Folder property. I guess if the problem cannot be solved by adjusting the Directory table, then you might consider creating another pure x64 MSI to deploy those files and then bundling your msi packages together using a Suite project or another bundle technology like WiX.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/heaths/archive/2008/01/15/different-packages-are-required-for-different-processor-architectures.aspx
0 Kudos
shawnsang
Level 3

Hi Phill_mn

Thanks for your detail information, I've tried the path of [ProgramFiles64Folder], but look like it not work.
I will try a Suite project to resolve the issue.

Thanks!
0 Kudos