cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tjcemc
Level 4

Where do System.out.println()'s go??????

Simple...quick question......if I put a System.out.println("Var: " + var) in one of my custom beans and then run my install.exe, where can I see the output???? I tried creating a Win32Console installer but nothing comes out there. Help please. Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

System.out.println output should appear in the console window for a Win32 Console launcher; a simple example seems to work for me... As a test, does it work if you launch the JAR file from a command prompt (java -cp setup.jar run)?
0 Kudos
jaystamm
Level 3

If I am looking for system.out.println I always drop into a command prompt and run java -jar setup.jar so that I can see them. The launchers seem to play tricks on where the stdout goes.

I think to get a launcher to display them you should play around with the setting Media -> Releases -> Distributions -> [Launcher in question] -> Show Console.

I have heard that it STDOUT and STDERR are funnelled into temp files and those temp files get deleted as soon as the wizard is done, so not much good that does. Not sure how much truth there is to that as I have not fully tested it myself.
0 Kudos
geojohn
Level 3

Use the LogService and log to a file on the target system

jaystamm wrote:
If I am looking for system.out.println I always drop into a command prompt and run java -jar setup.jar so that I can see them. The launchers seem to play tricks on where the stdout goes.

I think to get a launcher to display them you should play around with the setting Media -> Releases -> Distributions -> [Launcher in question] -> Show Console.

I have heard that it STDOUT and STDERR are funnelled into temp files and those temp files get deleted as soon as the wizard is done, so not much good that does. Not sure how much truth there is to that as I have not fully tested it myself.
0 Kudos