cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lanczyck
Level 3

What is changeable in a minor upgrade?

Hi,
I need to build an upgrade that will contain all of the same files as in the original release, and I'd prefer to overwrite the existing files when present. A minor upgrade should accomplish this.

However, I'd also like to reorganize the layout and alter some filenames on the destination machine. The docs weren't terribly clear to me what, if any, implications this has for choosing the type of upgrade I need. E.g., is installing a feature to a different location on the destination essentially the same as adding a feature plus removing another? (In which case I'd need a major, not minor, upgrade.)

So, in a minor upgrade, am I allowed to change...
a) the names of the features in the upgrade relative to the original release?
b) the name of the destination directory?
c) how a feature's files are organized in the destination directory?
d) how a feature's files are organized on my machine (i.e., the one that builds the project)?

TIA for any clarifications!
Chris
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Please see the MSI help topics "Changing the Component Code" and "Changing the ProductCode". The InstallShield Upgrade Validation rules flag many of the conditions mentioned there, so perhaps you can try it with a sample project?
0 Kudos
lanczyck
Level 3

Thanks for the pointers to these docs! A simple sample project went through OK, but the real one had problems so I guess I'll try a less-simple sample next. If that fails I'll just go the 'major upgrade' route.
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

lanczyck wrote:
So, in a minor upgrade, am I allowed to change...
a) the names of the features in the upgrade relative to the original release?
b) the name of the destination directory?
c) how a feature's files are organized in the destination directory?
d) how a feature's files are organized on my machine (i.e., the one that builds the project)?

a,b,c require a major upgrade. d doesn't effect upgrade decisions as it's a build time consideration.
0 Kudos
lanczyck
Level 3

Thanks much for the answer! My first test case, the simplest, was 'd' and am happy not to have to run through tests for various combinations of a,b and c!!
0 Kudos