cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rtl_airfoil
Level 2

What exactly is the .isproj "TaggedOutputs" used for and when should it be used?

I see the example entry

There is no reference to "TaggedOutputs" and its usage in the help system or anywhere else I can look. Is its purpose to be able to add "Extra" files to a
defined project? E.g. if my .isproj file looks like the sample below, will [ExtraFile.bat] be considered part of the "Primary output" of the project
"TaxationEngine" so that I would see the two files:

TaxEngine.exe
ExtraFile.bat

But with possibly different target directories?

TaxationEngine
Primary output
ExtraFile.bat

TaxationEngine
{20D4C3FC-C525-44CA-9778-5FF9071DE5BB}

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

That's the idea. It's not documented because it's a backdoor subversion of output groups, and isn't really tested or supported. That said, you can probably make it work (but I would recommend just adding a static file link in the InstallShield project).

If you're going to do this, just be aware that InstallShield may query any metadata that appears on an item that has gone through the rest of project output group determination process, and InstallShield may make assumptions about a common root folder for any given project's outputs (so no guarantees that including a file from somewhere else will work as expected; but similarly no guarantees that it won't).
0 Kudos
rtl_airfoil
Level 2

If I add static links then installshield relative paths have to be used to locate the items. These seem to be converted sporatically to absolute paths
when I open the InstallShield 12 ISLE project.

I was hoping i could use it to add all the files from a bin folder from an EXE project that are needed for the EXE to run since just adding the
primary output from the EXE project only includes the EXE itself. It is also a way to include the files with relative paths determined by MSBuild
rather than by the installshield process.

Is my reasoning correct here?
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Your reasoning makes sense. I'm just suggesting caution because we have not rigorously tested this approach. In theory it should work fine, but practice (especially untested practice) has a way of not working like theory says. 🙂
0 Kudos