cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sgoldstein
Level 6

Welcome Image Scaling

I'm trying to build my own theme by creating the necessary images. The problem I'm having is with the welcome image, which appears, for instance, on the InstallWelcome dialog. When the dialog is shown, the image appears to undergo some scaling which destorts the image. I've tried matching the image sizes of those shipped with the default themes, but that doesn't seem to work.

Anyone know how I can solve this?

Thanks.

Scott
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
Mike_Marino
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

What is the size of the images you are using?
0 Kudos
sgoldstein
Level 6

I've tried a few different sizes:

1. 499x312
2. 374x234
3. 620x388
4. 750x469

620x388 seems to work very well on my system. However, when it's run on another system, the image is distorted. The installer dialog size itself seems to change based on the system it is run on. I don't think that this is resolution based, as I've tried it on my machine with different resolutions and it looks fine.

Also worth noting is that I have changed the "setup" image as well. That is a .gif and that one seems to work well on all machines.

I've tried a .gif for the welcome image, but that didn't seem to work. Image didn't even show up.

Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks.

Scott

Thanks.

Scott
0 Kudos
Mike_Marino
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

What Project type are you using? (Basic MSI, InstallScript MSI, or InstallScript)
0 Kudos
sgoldstein
Level 6

I'm using Basic MSI
0 Kudos
Mike_Marino
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

Is one of the systems you are looking at the graphics on running with large fonts turned on?
0 Kudos
sgoldstein
Level 6

Yes, one of the systems does have large fonts turned on
0 Kudos
Mike_Marino
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

You will tend to see image scaling issues on systems with large fonts turned on.

The problem is the way Dialog Units (InstallScript MSI, or InstallScript projects) or Installer Units (Basic MSI projects) translate to pixels. Usually there is some degree of scaling going on. Although, you can usually find a happy medium (depending on your images, some just fall apart with the smallest bit of scaling).

Are you seeing scaling issues on non large font machines? Could you post a sample dialog screen shot? (If not you can send me one privately at mmarino@macrovision.com)
0 Kudos