Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
terpsfan
Level 3

Want to eliminate all UAC in setup.exe installation

Visual Studio 2013
Install Shield Limited 2013

I've created a setup.exe and signed it with a .pfx within Visual Studio. However when I try to install, I get the nasty UAC message asking if I want to install this on my computer. I want to get rid of these prompts altogether. How would I do this? I'm not currently using any Custom Actions, etc. It seems to be including my temporary certificate in the dialog box.
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
DLee65
Level 13

I am not familiar with the features of InstallShield LE, but in the full version there is a place to specify the manifest level for your install.
For me, I have a section called "Installation Information > General Information > Summary Information Stream". In this section I have an option, "Require Administrative Privileges". Be sure this is set to No.
Next, in Media > Releases > [ConfigurationName] > [ReleaseName], look at the Setup.exe tab. If you are creating a setup.exe wrapper, then the 'Required Execution Level' should be set to Invoker.

This is all you can do from your side to help reduce the level of prompts. Ultimately the functionality of the UAC is a product of the operating system. For instance I see times where I am always prompted for UAC for a given install on Windows Vista, but if I run the same install on Windows 7, the UAC does not show up.

Also remember that the consumer who owns the operating system will be used to encountering the UAC prompt in most cases.

The UAC will launch to warn the user that the given program is requesting to run at a higher level of access. I know that all Windows Installer packages run in system context.

I did not catch this in your post, but be sure to use code signing to digitally sign your packages. If a UAC prompt is displayed, then it is a calm 'ice-blue' color instead of the glaring 'yellow-orange' color. It will also display proper information regarding your company and can help instill confidence that the package being installed has not been tampered with.
0 Kudos
terpsfan
Level 3

Now I am getting an error code 1303: Installer has insufficient privileges to install the application in the target folder. Is there a way I can assign the necessary permissions to the folders I would create in the setup process?
I don't have a problem with the login prompt, but this application has been advertised by management as not requiring admin privileges to install.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Chuck
0 Kudos
terpsfan
Level 3

terpsfan wrote:
Visual Studio 2013
Install Shield Limited 2013

I've created a setup.exe and signed it with a .pfx within Visual Studio. However when I try to install, I get the nasty UAC message asking if I want to install this on my computer. I want to get rid of these prompts altogether. How would I do this? I'm not currently using any Custom Actions, etc. It seems to be including my temporary certificate in the dialog box.

I found the Limited Edition does not support allocating permissions on folders. This is available in the paid versions. The alternative would be to install this in the user's profile somewhere instead of in Program Files.
0 Kudos
terpsfan
Level 3

terpsfan wrote:
I found the Limited Edition does not support allocating permissions on folders. This is available in the paid versions. The alternative would be to install this in the user's profile somewhere instead of in Program Files.

I changed the INSTALLDIR folder to the local AppData folder. There the user will have the necessary permissions to run the installation and create folders as needed.

This issue is resolved.
0 Kudos
DLee65
Level 13

I am glad you found a solution.

Installing anything to Program Files in Windows Vista and newer requires administrative privileges. Also writing registry entries to HKLM will do it. I am pretty sure if you have to install services you will be required to run at a higher security level.
Obviously you found a solution that works for you with the users directory, which is what Microsoft recommends unless the app needs to be available to all users. 🙂
0 Kudos