cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ZildRemo
Level 3

WUSA Access Denied Error (Run via Custom Action)

Hi all,

Please could anybody help me with the following problem?

My Basic MSI project calls an executable as a custom action. That executable in turn runs numerous .exe files (.NET Framework updates) and .msu files (also .NET Framework updates, this time using the WUSA.exe used for updating Vista).

If I run my executable manually on a target machine, both the .msu and .exe files are run properly (the .exe files require the user to go through a security warning, which is to be expected).

However, if the executable is run through the installer as a custom action, the .msu files fail - there is an "Access Denied" error. My guess is that the installer does not pass on sufficient access priveliges to WUSA.exe, which is somewhat bizzare as the update .exe files now run without a security warning.

Please could anyone offer some advice on getting the .msu files to run correctly, ideally via my executable but failing that in any way possible! Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

You should probably not schedule .NET framework updates within a custom action, and instead use InstallShield Prerequisites. That said, the problem is likely a requirement of administrative privileges, and a limitation of launching an exe custom action. You can work around this by using a DLL or InstallScript custom action which launches your current exe with ShellExecute, or by changing the initial requirements and having your exe relaunch itself, etc. Prerequisites have elevation support built in.
0 Kudos
ZildRemo
Level 3

Thanks, Michael, that worked like a charm - and also was a lot easier than I feared it would be!
0 Kudos
Sounak
Level 2

MichaelU wrote:
You should probably not schedule .NET framework updates within a custom action, and instead use InstallShield Prerequisites. That said, the problem is likely a requirement of administrative privileges, and a limitation of launching an exe custom action. You can work around this by using a DLL or InstallScript custom action which launches your current exe with ShellExecute, or by changing the initial requirements and having your exe relaunch itself, etc. Prerequisites have elevation support built in.

I am basically facing the same issue. I have prepared the following IS Script. But the msi package is not launching the .exe. Do I need to include anything else with the custom action or any changes required in the script? Please help me with this in a bit elaborated way. I am quite new to this technology.

begin

LaunchApplication (INSTALLDIR ^ "SrPackage_2015.07.5.156.exe",
"",
INSTALLDIR,
SW_NORMAL,
INFINITE,
LAAW_OPTION_WAIT | LAAW_OPTION_USE_SHELLEXECUTE);
// To Do: Write script that will be executed when MyFunction is called.

end;
0 Kudos