cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gridman
Level 8

Visual Studio Integration Problem

I prefer working in the InstallShield IDE, but I have to evaluate the Visual Studio integration for a project I'm doing.

My setup is XP SP2, InstallShield 2009 SP1, Visual Studio 2008.

I created a Basic MSI project in Visual Studio, added features, components, files, shortcuts, InstallScript code, and then wanted to create some custom actions. I haven't defined or built a release yet, so just setting the project up.

I was using the Custom Action wizard and went through the pages, filling out the fields, and then got to the last page. When I click on Finish, an error displays and when I click OK, Visual Studio closes (because of the crash). Attached is the screenshot of the error.

I have rebooted my machine a couple of times, and started over, but each time I try to finish creating the custom action, Visual Studio crashes :eek:

At this point, I don't know if this is a Visual Studio problem or an InstallShield problem.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
gridman
Level 8

I'm going to reinstall Visual Studio 2008 and see if that makes any difference. I have already reinstalled InstallShield 2009 SP1, and that didn't make any difference.
0 Kudos
gridman
Level 8

Reinstalling Visual Studio 2008 took care of the problem. I can now define the custom action with no errors.

What's funny is that this is first time in the past ten years that I've done a reinstall/repair of Visual Studio and it actually helped. 😉
0 Kudos
gridman
Level 8

I spoke too soon. I still get the error.

If I define the custom action and leave out the Install Exec Condition, it won't crash. But the moment I add the condition in, and then click the Finish button to finish the custom action, it crashes.
0 Kudos
gridman
Level 8

I spoke with InstallShield support about this and they are looking into it.

In the meantime, if I define the custom action, but don't add the Install Exec Condition in the wizard, but add it after custom action has been defined, it will work. So, that's a workaround.

I'll post what InstallShield Support gets back to me with.
0 Kudos