cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SpiderLily1
Level 6

Visual C++ 2019 x64 Prerequisite fails when Visual C++ 2017 x64 is installed

Jump to solution

Trying to post this again, because my previous post got marked as spam for some reason?

I'm experiencing the following behavior with my prerequisite, but not when the Visual C++ 2019 installer is run outside of InstallShield.  My colleague and I both experience the following repeatable behavior.

• When Visual C++ 2017 (x64) redistributables are installed, the InstallShield installer fails after installing Visual C++ 2015-2019 (x64) redistributables.
  • When Visual C++ 2017 (x64) redistributables are not installed, it succeeds through both prerequisites and the main installer.

Since Visual C++ 2015-2019 (x64) replaces the Visual C++ 2017 (x64) redistributables, to reproduce the issue, you must uninstall Visual C++ 2015-2019 (x64), and reinstall Visual C++ 2017 (x64).

I've created a version of the prerequisite that logs the installation of Visual C++, and got the attached logs. Screenshots of my prerequisite configuration are also attached.

If anyone has any idea what is wrong, please help! I'd like this to work, and this installer must be delivered very soon!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Solutions

As a workaround, I was able to successfully install by adapting spiderlily's prerequisite as follows:

• remove /norestart command line flag in 'Application to Run' tab
  • In the 'Behaviour' tab, set 'If the prerequisite appears to need a reboot' to 'Prompt the user only if no reboot is detected, but always reboot the machine and resume on reboot'

On a system that already had VC++ 2017 (or VC++ 2015) merge modules installed, the setup will now install the 2019 prerequisite, then interrupt the setup asking for reboot, and resume and finish the setup after reboot (and user logged in again).

View solution in original post

If you would like to handle reboot at the end of the main installation then you can choose either of the below options from the prerequisite behavior tab

• Note it, fail to resume if the machine is rebooted, and reboot after the installation
  • Ignore it, and fail to resume if machine is rebooted

Below link has more details.

https://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/installshield23helplib/helplibrary/UIRefPrereqEditor_Behavior.htm#ref-prereqeditor_1341126629_1025405

0 Kudos

Yes, those settings suppose to skip reboot flow and allow main installation to continue. Could you please try and let me know if it works for you?

0 Kudos
(20) Replies