cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rizAngel
Level 3

Vista problem - Fail to lauch application on startup

Hi,

I have an application that allowed user to choose to install either under service mode or as application mode.

If user choose to install application mode,i will write in registry : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run this key : C:\Program Files\Company\MyApplication\MyProgramLauncer.exe
-(MyProgramLauncer.exe will run on startup)

but if user choose to install as a window service,
i will register a MyProgramExe.exe as a windows service and
write in different key in the register which is :
"C:\Program Files\Company\MyApplication\MyProgramUI.exe" service
-(MyProgramUI.exe will run on startup and try communicate with MyProgramExe service)

both application mode and service mode works well in XP but only application mode successfully works in Vista while the service mode seems not work at all in vista. The MyProgramExe service is started but the problem is with MyProgramUI. It started for a while and after that it dissapear from the task manager.

if it is because of the sufficient privilege that MyProgramUI has but why the MyProgramLauncer.exe successfully launched at Vista startup when i select the application mode?
And what is the correct command/value should i put in the registry key to make it works?

i really appreciate for any ideas to help me to solve this matter..
thanks in advance 🙂
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
rizAngel
Level 3

up.. 😞

hopefully someone can help me...
0 Kudos
table01
Level 4

I don't know if it's related, but I had a somewhat similar problem where our app failed to launch in certain environments. It turned-out that an environment variable was not getting reset (this had nothing to do with our app or installation). The setting is "__COMPAT_LAYER=DisableNXShowUI". In the problem environments this setting was changed (or removed) during the system startup. There was apparently an attempt to reset it, but the environment was not reloaded so the rest value was not recognized. The result was that any change made to the environment would reload the environment and correct the problem.

I still haven't solved this. In those installations users still have to make some innocuous change to their environment after they reboot.

Again, I don't know if it's related. Good luck.
0 Kudos
rizAngel
Level 3

thanks for replying...
after doing some research, the problem is come from my code and not the installer..:p 😛

problem is solved 😮
0 Kudos