cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikecamimo
Level 2

Vista installation of legacy program

I am trying to edit an installscript installation for an old vb6 application so that it will run under vista. The application requires that the application and data be in the same folder, and at this point it isnt practical to change this.

Under vista, I've tried installing the application and data to Program Files and ProgramData, but as I'm sure you are aware this runs into security issues, in particular when my program tries to delete files (eg old database files). I could run the program as administrator, but this isnt preferable.

So, my question is, where is the best place to install a program under vista so that I have full control of the target folder as I did under say windows xp ? I know I could install to c:\, but I'd prefer not to have it sit under the root folder.

Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
NikkiBUK76
Level 3

Hi Mike,

Don't know if this will help with a vb6 app, but have you tried setting the permissions for the install directory in the Direct Editor

So in the LockPermissions table set the fields to the following

LockObject = INSTALLDIR
Table = CreateFolder
User = Everyone
Permission = 268435456 (this set the full control access to the directory)

Leave the Domain field blank.

This worked for installing our application, which read/writes/deletes files in the install directory, on vista

Hope this helps you

Nicola
0 Kudos
mikecamimo
Level 2

Thanks for the reply Nicola.

I found that installing to users\public works ok, although its probably not "politically correct" 🙂

I havent looked into the LockPermissions table yet, but I'll give it a try.

Thanks,
Mike
0 Kudos