cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hnichole
Level 3

Vista install; setup.exe works, msi fails

I have a package that builds as a simple msi project and the output is a msi file and a single setup.exe. It installs a service, filter driver, and a number of executable and support files. Admin privileges are a prerequisite. The setup.exe works fine. The msi works as long as it is run msiexec /i from a command window started with admin privileges. If it is not started from an elevated source, it fails because it calls a dll that attempts to open the service control manager. Cause of failure is lack of privileges (error 5).
Both the msi and the setup.exe are built at the same time with the same properties. As I understand it, the setup.exe is just a wrapper that launches msiexec. The privileges on both packages are the same. Any ideas on why this is happening would be immensely appreciated.
Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Not applicable

MSI Packages don't have a manifest file streamed in to them like setup.exe files do, so cannot indicate from what point privileges should be prompted.

Therefore, the only full resolution is to either require setup.exe or refactor your installation to not perform activities that require administrative context when that might not be available.
0 Kudos
Kovalenko
Level 6

I have a similar problem: I populate a combobox with available websites. Websites are read in CA VB script with the help of GetObject("IIS:..."). The latest statement just fails if the installation is run from .msi. I do not have a work around for this and I need to fix this. Any ideas?
0 Kudos