cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
steve_lim
Level 3

Very simple question.

Hello.
I'm new to the installscipt msi project.

I want to add dialogs in Sequences>Installation>User Interface.
So, I right clicked on the User Interface, then selected insert.
But I couldn't find any dialogs to be inserted.
How can I add some dialogs into the User Interface?

Thanks in advance.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

The sequences in InstallScript MSI installations are controlled by Windows Installer. However, the user interface is handled by the InstallScript engine. So, to add dialogs to the user interface of your project, you would need to revise your InstallScript code. The following help topic has some more information:
Displaying Dialogs During InstallScript and InstallScript MSI Installations

I hope that helps.
0 Kudos
steve_lim
Level 3

Thanks DebbieL.

I checked the page, and I found that msi project uses same script to display dialogs as installscript project. Am I correct?

My main goal is to convert my installscript project to msi project since I need to use the mssql prerequisite.

Here is my question.
Can I ignore all of actions and sequences and focus only script files for converting? I'm a little confused whether to use actions.

Thank you.
steve.
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Are you converting to an InstallScript MSI project or a Basic MSI project? The InstallScript engine displays the UI of InstallScript MSI installations, and the Windows Installer engine displays the UI of Basic MSI installations.

In any case, I'm not sure that you need to convert your InstallScript project if you need to install one of the SQL Server Express prerequisites. (Is that what you need to install?) Perhaps you could use the InstallScript function LaunchApplication in your InstallScript code to launch the other installation.
0 Kudos
steve_lim
Level 3

Thanks for your reply.

I'm trying to converting to InstallScript MSI project.
I thought that it would be easy to use MSI prerequisites since .NET framework and Windows Installer would be needed to install MSSQL.
But I found that there is a way to include them to InstallScript Project by using InstallShield Objects. I'm not sure that this method is going to work exactly what I expect. Anyway I'll try.

Thank you, DebbieL.
steve.
0 Kudos