cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
seanka
Level 3

Versioning Problem

Hello Everyone,

I'm kind of new to the packaging realm, so I'm hoping you guys may be able to help me out with this.

I have two packaged applications, I'll call them VW 1.0.18 and VW 2.0.5.

I have been presented with an upgrade to VW 2.0.5 that need to be upgraded to VW 2.0.6. The problem is that VW 2.0.6 changes files that are part of the VW 1.0.18 package. So, after installing VW 2.0.6 - when I run VW 1.0.18, the application repairs itself, and copies down the original files, thus replacing the "updates."

What is the best way to get around this problem? Would I have to create two installations - one that patches 1.0.18 and another that upgrades 2.0.6? I'm at a loss and under pressure to get this thing packaged and shipped out.

Is it possible to disable the auto-healing process on 1.0.18 during the install of 2.0.6?

Thanks in advance!!!

Sean
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
seanka
Level 3

Thinking out loud...

Would it be possible for me to separate the files that are getting installed by application? By that, I would create an upgrade for 2.0.6 and then a patch for 1.0.18. So, I would run the upgrade of 2.0.6, which will completely uninstall 2.0.5 and then install 2.0.6.

Then, after that apply a patch to 1.0.18 which will update the 1.0.18 files with all the updates that 2.0.6 requires to run in conjunction with 1.0.18. Does that make sense?

The only question then would be if I could possibly initiate a second MSI file after the first MSI file is complete.
0 Kudos