Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NiklasFleischer
Level 2

Version- Overview and Silent Behavior

Hello,

this does not really fit in the forum for InstallShield 2009,
but would rather fit in a InstallShield General forum:

Iam creating silent installation scripts for various setups made with InstallShield,
yet the procedure seems to differ for nearly every version.

Can you give me an overview of the different versions, with their silent- behavior and how I can easily determine the version used in the setup?

Thanks for your help 😉

- Niklas
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Identifying can be tricky, but the two general classes are installations having InstallScript-based dialog boxes and those with Windows Installer-based dialog boxes.

For installations using InstallScript-based dialog boxes (built with what are called InstallScript projects and InstallScript MSI projects), the big idea is first to generate a response file by running setup.exe with the /r switch (and possibly /f1 to specify where the response file goes); this creates a file that describes what you entered in the installation dialog boxes. You then run the installer on other systems using that response file by running setup.exe with the /s switch (and possibly /f1 to specify where the response file is and what it's called).

For Windows Installer installations, a command like setup.exe /s /V"/qn" should do the trick. If you want to change installation settings, you pass the values of properties on the command line.

For more information, please see the "silent installations" topic in the InstallShield help at http://helpnet.acresso.com.
0 Kudos
NiklasFleischer
Level 2

Thanks alot for the fast response, I will take a closer look into the HelpNet, too 😉
0 Kudos