cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
velini
Level 2

Validate XP Service Pack and IIS

I wan't to create an install pack that will deploy an offline web application in a client machine. But I'm a newbie to Install Shield. 😞

It has to work with .NET 4.0 and SQL Server 2008 R2.- (I know that this part I can add in the InstallShield Project as a requirement or redistributable). It also has to work in Windows Xp Pro SP3+ and Windows 7 Pro+.

My question is, how to validate the installed Windows XP version?

The other question is about IIS, is it possible to validate if the feature is on (both on XP and W7). If not, how do I turn it on through the install pack.

Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
rrinblue22
Level 9

I would recommend you to start from system search view which will help you check for the installed version and iis.
Install condition can also be considered.
0 Kudos
Nick_Umanski
Level 7

For validating the Installed OS and Service Pack you can use the following built in properties:

VersionNT
ServicePackLevel

eg For example to test for OS of XP SP3+ you would want to test for VersionNT=501 And ServicePackLevel>2

Additional Info:

VersionNT64 = true for 64bit OS
MsiNTProductType = 3 for Servers (the only way to distinquish Vista from 2008 which both share VersionNT=600, and Win7 from 2008R2 where VersionNT=601
0 Kudos
velini
Level 2

Thanks for the replies. 🙂

I can now validate the windows version, but i'm still facing the IIS problem.

The target user for my application is a very basic Windows user. I have to automatically turn on the IIS feature on Windows 7 and have to install the IIS on XP SP3.

How can I do it? Or do you recomend installing IIS Express on both systems?

Best regards
0 Kudos