cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
styerr
Level 3

VS 2010 Integration

I am a new user for InstallShield Pro 2011. I just finished installing and activating the product earlier today. I had VS 2008 and VS 2010 installed on the computer before I installed Installshield Pro 2011 using 2011SAB.exe which I had downloaded. (The operating system is Windows 7 32-bit). I did not notice any problems or prompts during the installation about integration into VS. From what I can see on various posts on this forum the Integration should have been automatic.

However, I am not seeing any reference to Installshield Project Templates in either VS 2008 or VS 2010. Can anyone tell me where to find the references or how to add the Project Templates into VS 2008 or VS 2010?

Any help that can be offered is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
styerr
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

If you ran 2011SAB.exe, you were installing the InstallShield Standalone Build, the module that you can use to build installations from the command line. This tool does not have an interface; it's a command-line tool. If you are using the Standalone Build, you will not see InstallShield project templates in the New Project dialog box in Visual Studio.

If you want to be able to create InstallShield projects from within Visual Studio, you would need to install the full version of InstallShield. The full version of InstallShield has a GUI, but it also has support for command-line builds. When you have this installed on your machine that has Visual Studio, the New Project dialog box in Visual Studio includes InstallShield project types.

Often times, users install the Standalone Build on their build machine, and InstallShield on their development machine.

It sounds like you may have the Standalone Build, rather than InstallShield, installed on your machine. Can you confirm that?
0 Kudos
styerr
Level 3

Thank you very much. That is exactly what my issue is. I had downloaded the wrong installer. I had only installed the Stand Alone Build. I have since downloaded and installed the Full Installshield Professional 2011 and now I have the templates in VS 2008 and VS 2010.
Sorry that I am such a newbie to make such a simple mistake. Thank you for your response. Hopefully I can now make some progress with Installshield.
0 Kudos