cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DonWare
Level 3

VB6, Windows 7, setup and data file locations

Hi, I've been searching around for info to help me solve a problem and can't find what I'm looking for... I'm try to make an app run on windows 7 that is developed under vb6 on an XP op system. Yeah.

I've recently learned that I made a big mistake years ago by locating setup files (text and access mdb) in the app.path. So now different users get errors because of missing file errors...

I only want to have one set of these files for all user accounts and I don't mind changing my code to move all of the setup files into another folder (commonfiles ???) But I can't find a (preferrably) easy way to change my code to set the paths to these files in their new location. Only app.data is accepted by vb6 but I'm pretty sure that doesn't solve my problem.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Don
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
DonWare
Level 3

How "good" does a question have to be here to get a response ?
0 Kudos
Cary_R
Level 11

Hi Don,

I think the lack of a response is more due to the question reading like a VB6 question, rather than a question of how to modify your InstallShield project.

I'm not convinced this is the case, having read through it a few times, so I'll do my best here.

App.Path resolves the to location that your application itself resides in. Is this under Program Files, or is it under the user profile? If it's under the user profile, the question becomes: "How do other users end up with a shortcut that points to another user's profile folder?"

There might be some confusion here as well in where the *.mdb and other files live. Can you post in literal detail as to where these paths resolve to on a Vista/7 system? (i.e. c:\Program Files\My Application, c:\users\AppData\My Application, etc.)

Lastly, as a shot in the dark, does your application currently run fine for other users when right clicking and selecting "Run as Administrator"?

Regards,
0 Kudos