cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hbchai
Level 3

Using Default Values for Silent Mode Response File

I'm trying to build some test automation around our packages built using InstallShield, via silent mode installs, upgrades, and uninstalls. I'd like to verify that the default values that get populated into the UI dialogs are correct. How do I do this with a response file?

In other words, I know I can explicitly specify the value I want for a given UI input field. However, how do I tell the installer to use whatever value would be filled in by default?

Thanks,
Haw-Bin
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Could you generate a response file by just clicking Next through the installer?
0 Kudos
hbchai
Level 3

Yes, I am using a response file that is based on recorded responses. The output for input values, such as the target directory, is explicit in the response file. My question is, is there any way to indicate that the default value that would be used for the input value is the one to use?

By specifying the value explicitly in the response file, I won't actually be testing the default value - which may change.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Alas, I'm not aware of anything built in for that.

(One could presumably modify the dialog code so that certain special values read from a response file with SilentReadData were replaced with defaults, but that would be a fair bit of work.)
0 Kudos