cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JangDeBlannen
Level 2

User permissions issues when starting installed application through file associations

We are encountering some problems with an installer setup which we create with InstallShield 2014 Professional.

In the past we were using InstallShield 2011 Express to create a setup.exe for our software. Recently we purchased InstallShield 2014 Professional edition and we imported the existing .msi project file which we were using with the 2011 version.

We were testing the installer and noticed the following:

We ran the setup on a Windows machine, logged in as a non-admin user. Our setup is set to require administrator privileges and is set to install the application for all users of the machine. So we enter the admin password and the application is installed.

When a file is double clicked which has an association with our software through InstallShield, the application is not started. Instead an installer setup is opened which then gives an error message saying that it cannot find (due to access issue) files located in the folder where the setup had stored its temporary files (exact path:
C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\{21252CF5-549A-48CB-A987-5BCBBD63CE79}\). This folder is a temp folder in administrator account to which the user has no access (it is created during installation process and removed after).

If we open administrator temp folder by proving credentials as a user, Windows will remember them and surprisingly application will open normally (there isn’t set up window started). However when you remove those credentials, the error will come back again.

If we are logged in as administrator the issue does not occur at all.
Also if we install application as administrator and log as a user, issue is the same.

If we try to open the file using command line "access Denied" message is returned.

If we select the file and right-click and select option "Open as Administrator" then the application opens as expected.

We confirmed this issue on Windows 7 and Windows 8. Both issues do not take place in when using InstallShield 2011 Express installer.

We scratched our heads for a while now and cannot figure out what the problem could be.
Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
DLee65
Level 13

The initial setup is executed as the system account. I would begin by looking to see if you have any per user information that it is trying to write to HKCU or to a user's directory on first run.
Check your event viewer, it should indicate for you what component the setup is attempting to repair.

If you are placing files in an inaccessible location during install that may lead to problems with resiliency as the source files need to be accessible by all users I would presume. I do not know if this is the scenario you are facing.

However, I could be completely misunderstand the issue too 😄 Hopefully it is of some use.
0 Kudos