cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ron_Schaeffer
Level 6

Use InstallShield Automation to change Directory table values?

Is it possible to use the InstallShield Automation interface, accessing an XML format ISM file, so as to revise in the Directory table the directory name of a node (i.e., set the value in the DefaultDir column of the table)?

In other words, my directory table looks something like this:

Directory Directory_Parent DefaultDir
MYCOMPANY ProgramFilesFolder MYCOMP~1|MyCompany
VERSIONDIR MYCOMPANY 3.0

In a build preprocessing step, I would like to be able to set the 'directory value' of VERSIONDIR to a product/build specific version (i.e., 3.1, 4.0, etc.).

Alternately (though I don't want to do it this way), is it possible to do this using the Windows Installer automation interface if the ISM file is in a binary format - does the Windows Installer interface have the ability to set the 'defaultdir' in the Directory table?

Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Ron_Schaeffer
Level 6

Anyone? Modify a directory table entry using InstallShield Automation?

Alright, if not - does anyone know if the XML format ISM file is truly XML format - such that it could be processed using XMLDOM to find the particular directory table entry and update the associated value?

Has anyone written any XMLDOM for processing an ISM file - anything at all (I'd love to see that!)??

Thanks
0 Kudos
troyab
Level 2

Was an solution ever found for this?
0 Kudos
Ron_Schaeffer
Level 6

I've never had a response, nor figured out a way to do it (though I don't recollect investing any more time in it - too many other things to do).

I basically worked around it by having VERSIONDIR as a root folder in the installer, then using a Directory Custom Action to set VERSIONDIR at runtime to "[INSTALLDIR][VERSION]" - where VERSION = '3.0'. (FYI - I had the "3.0" value available as property VERSION in the installer, which I set in my preprocessing of the ISM file)
0 Kudos