cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kevinp_REMI
Level 2

Upgraded projects not able to be opened via automation interface (Error Code 1103)

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am currently evaluating the free trial of InstallShield 2023 R2 as a replacement for InstallShield 2014 in our release process. I made a copy of all of our 2014 project files and then opened them up in 2023 R2 which appeared to convert them without issue. I compiled and built each one manually and all was fine. However, I'm running into an issue with our VBA code that makes use of the COM automation interface. When we try to open any of the converted projects with the OpenProject method, we get error 1103 (Unable to open file: <file path>. The project was created using a more recent version of InstallShield Developer or the project has been updated to a more recent version of InstallShield, InstallShield DevStudio, or InstallShield Developer.).

Here is the relevant VBA code:

Dim m_ISWiProject As Object 

Set m_ISWiProject = CreateObject("ISWiAuto29.ISWiProject")

m_ISWiProject.OpenProject <Fully qualified path to .ISM file> '<- error occurs here

This same code (except with the ISWiAuto21 automation interface) is what has worked with our InstallShield 2014 projects for years. I believe ISWiAuto29 is the correct library because I see ISWiAutomation29.dll in the C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield\2023\System folder. 

Any ideas of why this would be going wrong? It seems like one plan of action would be to recreate the projects from scratch in InstallShield 2023 in case anything went wrong with the project upgrade process, but it would be nice if there were something else to try first to save that effort. Thank you!

-Kevin

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Solution
kevinp_REMI
Level 2

I'm not sure what happened, but this issue resolved itself. I believe I attempted this immediately after installing InstallShield 2023, so it's possible that a restart cleared up the problem.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
(1) Reply
kevinp_REMI
Level 2

I'm not sure what happened, but this issue resolved itself. I believe I attempted this immediately after installing InstallShield 2023, so it's possible that a restart cleared up the problem.

0 Kudos